San Gerardo Full Day or Overnight Hike
Experience the beautiful San Gerardo Biological Station.
San Gerardo Biological Station is an exquisite part of Costa Rica located on the Tilarán mountain range. It is located 7 kilometers from the center of Santa Elena, Monteverde and is part of the Children’s Eternal Rainforest. Is a rustic lodge with capacity for 32 people, rooms with bath and two cabins, with three meals included, electricity but no Internet, with a spectacular view of the volcano and Lake Arenal as well as the forest. Around the station there are 7 kms of trails through primary, secondary forest and pastures in regeneration.
What to expect:
- You will meet your guide at about 7:30am at the San Gerardo trailhead, located at the Santa Elena Reserve.
- Your hike in is about 1.5-2hr, mostly down in inclination.
- Once at the station, enjoy a guided tour by your naturalist guide on one of the many trails there.
- Enjoy lunch at the station. You might run into other travelers, researchers, students or local families.
- If you’re on a full day hike, hike out after lunch. If you’re on an overnight, after lunch you can take another walk with (or without) your guide, visit the wonderful hammocks, take some awesome pictures of Arenal volcano, or learn more about the station through the information inside the lodge.
- Depart with your guide by 3pm on the full day hike, or after breakfast on the overnight, for your 2hr hike back to the Monteverde area.
- 7:00am Hotel Pickup
- Tour duration is 10 hours (full day hike) or 24-26hr (overnight hike)
Pricing and Additional Information:
- Be sure to eat breakfast before your hotel pickup.
- 90 minute hike in and 2 hour hike out.
- Pricing currently being updated for 2020.
- Subject to guides’ availability.
- Minimum of 1 week advance booking is requested. Book tour far in advance to secure your private tour time.
- Trails available at the San Gerardo Biological Station.